Sunday, August 10, 2014

Red Carpet Rundown — Teen Choice Awards


The Teen Choice Awards blue carpet was flooded with stars like Lea Michele, Shay Mitchell, and Selena Gomez. With any celeb studded event comes some amazing fashion. Let's take a look at what some of Hollywood's finest stepped out in tonight!


Lea Michele



Lea Michele wearing Fausto Puglisi

The dress is adorable, and works wonderfully for her frame. While it's an excellent choice for the TCA's, when I first saw the dress I thought it looked like a dress you'd find at a store by the beach. I also think she could have done a better shoe. 

I rate it: B



Shay Mitchell





Shay Mitchell in a gorgeous 2 piece lace outfit. 


I love, love, LOVE this. The bustier top and matching skirt is perfection. The peekaboo between the top and skirt make this outfit fun, flirty, and young. White looks incredible on her skin tone, and while the shoes wouldn't be my first choice, I absolutely think she made the best decision going with a neutral colored shoe. Any funky, colorful shoe would take away from her gorgeous outfit. 

 I rate it: A+
Demi Lovato





Demi  Lovato rocking a more conservative outfit. 

Demi is often seen rocking edgier pieces, but she is killing it in this dress. She kept it simple and fresh. I love the look, but I do wish she added some of her edge to it — such as a funky colored hair! 

I rate it: A
Jordin Sparks





Jordin Sparks in a bold print. 

I can't seem to find any kind words about this look. It looks like a curtain from a cheap, run down, beach motel. I'm not a fan of the fit, either. The top looks too small for her chest, and I (based on the creases I can see on her hip area) I imagine the pants can create an awkward air bubble between her waist and legs. 

I rate it: F
Selena Gomez





Selena Gomez in a tailored pant suit.

The fit is incredible! I think this look is amazing... but not for the TCA's! It's the teen choice awards — have some fun! Spice it up! If you want to channel your inner Angelina Jolie and wear a pant suit, make it memorable! Make it pink, add some sparkle, a bright bag & shoe... Something! The look is so dark, with her hair slicked back. Selena usually slays the red carpet with her amazing looks, and while this looks great, she could have done much better. 

I rate it: C

Ariana Grande





Ariana Grande in a George Chakra frock. 


Ariana is adorable (though I'm pretty sure she always has the same expression). The dress is great for her. There's some detailing along the bottom and the neckline. It's just so... meh. I feel like a broken record when I say she needs to add something to give it a little pizzaz... Shoes. bag.. something! She's blending in to the white background. 

I rate it: B-
Hilary Duff






Hilary Duff  in a crop top she got from the set of Lizzie McGuire.

I can't. Hilary is so stylish, and I am so disappointed. This crop top seriously looks like something she wore on Lizzie McGuire 10 years ago. The skirt is fierce and has incredible fit, but I think it's too long. If you look closely, it's doing something weird around her knees. 

I rate it: D

Taylor Swift





Taylor Swift nailing it! 

I'm in love with this look! She strayed away from her usual neutral palette of dresses (see for yourself), and girl looks amazing! I love the color of the dress, the cut looks amazing on her, and she did a fun colored shoe! I'm not crazy about her hair (she looks like she's growing out a mullet), but I'm so in love with her outfit choice that I'm hardly paying attention to her hair! 

I rate it: A

Ansel Elgort




Ansel Elgort looking adorable.

I think Ansel is precious, but this ensemble has me a little confused. I love the jacket and think it was an incredible choice. What confuses me is the shirt underneath it. It looks like a brown collared shirt underneath an olive green sweater. Without the jacket he'd look like he just left a vintage clothing store and the 80 year old owner made him wear it. I think a simpler, lighter colored shirt (white?) would have looked amazing under the jacket and made it (and him) stand out more.

I rate it: C
Hailee Steinfeld




Hailee Steinfeld mixing prints and fabrics.

Did I miss the announcement about Tim Burton and Helena Bonham Carter starting a fashion line? This outfit screams that to me. I'm not a fan. She also needs to pull her hair back and off of her shoulders. Having long brown hair myself, it doesn't look good laying flat against dark colors. I love the pops of pink this dress has, but that's it's only redeeming feature

I rate it: F


Sarah Hyland





Sarah Hyland dazzling in a minidress.

I'm loving this! I'm a fan of about anything that sparkles, and she looks fantastic. Sarah's dress is bold, so pulling her hair back keeps her face & dress the center of attention. I do think she could have picked a better shoe, but over all, I love it! 

I rate it: A-


Zendaya







Zendaya looking pretty in pink.

I don't know who this girl is (a Disney star, apparently), but she is KILLING it. I love love love her outfit! If you're going to wear a bold, bright, fun dress, the TCA is the place to do it! Perfect, perfect, perfect! 

I rate it: A+


Bella Thorne





Bella Thorne looking blue. 

This dress is also an amazing choice for the TCA's! It's so fun and young it's perfect. My only issue is her shoes match the carpet! It's tricky when wearing the same color dress as the carpet you'll be walking. I think that rule pertains more so when it's a long dress, but it also goes for shoes! Her dress is amazing, but her shoes blend in with the carpet! Yikes! She should have gone with a yellow, instead. 

I rate it: B


Janel Parrish







Janel Parrish in a crop top and maxi.

I love the colors of the crop top. The same rule of matching the carpet I mentioned above carries to Janel's maxi skirt. While it's gorgeous, you don't notice because it's blending in to the carpet. While I love the outfit and think she looks amazing, it  also looks like she's heading to Coachella rather than the TCA's.

I rate it: C






There were some amazing looks but others fell flat. In true fashion critic style, I give you the Best & Worst Dressed!

My award for Best Dressed has to go to Zendaya! She killed it! The color, the cut, the fit... She looked phenomenal! 
As much as it pains me, Worst Dressed has to go to Hilary Duff. Only because I know she can do so much better! 



Who do you think was best and worst dressed? 






Pictures from E! Online 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Soles and Sleeves